Reply To: 1 Timothy 2:12 (Lemon Five)

This is very interesting, Suanne. It certainly fits with what I learned from Wade Burleson about this lemon verse, as I wrote in A Woman of Chayil:

Concerning the phrase, “usurp authority,” Burleson wrote:

This phrase “usurp authority” translates one Greek word authentein. This word is used only one time in all of Scripture—let me repeat that again—this word authentein is used only once in the entire Bible, right here in I Timothy 2:12. This word was used, however, in classical Greek literature and it meant “to murder someone.” Paul could have chosen nearly fifty Greek words to speak of the ordinary exercise of authority, but he chose a word that more represents someone “dominating, controlling, or subjecting one to harm.” Of course, this is precisely what the Artemis cult taught women to do. Artemis was the female goddess of fertility and war. Women in Ephesus were taught to use their voices, their charm, their sexuality and their beauty to dominate, control and subjugate men.

From what you wrote, it seems they also used potions! There must have been a pretty serious problem in the Church in Ephesus (it appears it was with women who had been converted from the cult of Artemis) for Paul to have to write about women not harming men physically (and possibly with potions!)

Want to share this?