Reply To: Book III (3) December 18, 1987 —> March 10, 1988

Pathwalker, here is a little side story that fits with what you found in these notes.

My husband and I traveled to Spain in 1997 for a vacation (may have been 1996) with another couple. While there, the couple we were traveling with took us to meet a friend of theirs (I’ll call him Juan) who lived in or near the city of Malaga. We spent a day with this Juan and his wife. While there Juan told us the story of what happened to their small indigenous home church that his father (I’ll call him Pedro) had started in the early to mid 80s (not sure about the date … just know it was before the late 80s). The home church was growing and having a wonderful experience with the Lord. Juan and his brother Jose and their families were both attending.

The quick version: One day Pedro met someone from the Local Church. Soon Pedro learned about the ground of locality and was flown to Anaheim to meet Witness Lee and to attend a training. More from Pedro’s church attended trainings. Pedro’s church and all in it were captured for the “Recovery.” Some time passed. Then came the visit from two LSM brothers: Benson and Ray. They had come with some other brothers to help rescue the situation in Europe in the late 80s “rebellion.”

Bottom line: Benson and Ray’s mission was to keep Pedro’s church in affiliation with LSM during this “rebellion.” They gave some messages about loyalty to Witness Lee’s ministry and then left. After the visit from Benson and Ray, there was a big split in Pedro’s church: LSM and non-LSM. Juan and Jose and families ended up divided from each other. Pedro was heartbroken over what he witnessed happen to his once happy and thriving indigenous church. After realizing he could not correct the situation, he gave up and not only walked away from both sides of the division, he locked himself away and refused to talk about it or to  fellowship with anyone. Juan was very emotional as he shared with us this tale of destruction not only of their small church, but of family relationships.

At the time of our visit Juan and family were still meeting with the non-LSM believers and his brother Jose was meeting with the LSM faithful. Their relationship with each other remained broken. Their father would not speak of the matter nor would he fellowship with anyone about the Lord. In Juan’s view, his father’s faith had been shipwrecked by their encounter with LSM. He wished they had never heard of LSM or the ground of locality teaching.

Want to share this?